Monday, December 22, 2008

The Ref



Can this be the best Christmas movie ever? Why, yes, I think it can. It has just the right amount of snark and sarcasm to cut through the inevitably sweet and sappy happy-ish ending. Plus, you can't beat dialogue like this w/ a stick:

Lloyd: "You know, you and my wife have a lot in common. You both think you have some right to life working out the way you want it to, and when it doesn't, you get to act the way you want. The only trouble with that is someone has to be responsible. I'd love to run around and take classes and play with my inner-self! I'd love the freedom to be some pissed-off criminal with no responsibilities, except I don't have the time! But you don't see me with a gun. And you don't see me sleeping with someone else. You think my life turned out the way I wanted because I live in this house? You think every morning I wake up, look in the mirror and say "Gee I'm glad I'm me and not some 19-year-old billionaire rockstar with the body of an athelete and a 24-hour erection!" No I don't! So just excuse the shit out of me!"

Classic.

No comments: